Nightdive Studios, known for its faithful remasters of classic and iconic games from yesteryear like Shadow Man, the recently released Quake II, and Powerslave, has announced that the final chapter in the Turok N64 trilogy is coming to Switch, PC, other consoles later this year. Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion will release on November 14th, 2023 and will be the first game to utilize the newest version of Nightdive Studios’ coveted Kex Engine.
This means that Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion will feature “upgraded gameplay, high-resolution textures, enhanced lighting and rendering, and support for console gamepads with platform-specific features,” as stated in the official press release.
As a fan of the original games on the N64, I was so happy when the first two games, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, got remasters on Nintendo Switch. Seeing how well they performed on the console and how faithful Nightdive handled the ports (as well as every other game they give a new lease of life to) gives me hope that Turok 3 is in the most capable hands and it would be great to have the complete original trilogy on Switch.
About Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion:
In Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion, players choose between dual protagonists Joseph and Danielle Fireseed, siblings of Turok 2: Seeds of Evil protagonist Joshua Fireseed. Together, they must defeat the titular antagonist Oblivion and its followers, the Flesh Eaters, after the supposed demise of their brother at its hands.
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion Key Features:
- A remastered version of the 2000 classic, available for the first time since its Nintendo 64 release
- Up to 4K 120FPS performance on PC, PlayStation® 4|5, and Xbox One and Series X|S
- Advanced rendering features, including anti-aliasing, bloom, ambient occlusion, dynamic shadows, and motion blur
- Remastered environment art, character models, and updated weapon models
- Optional Motion/Gyro controls for Nintendo Switch console and Gamepad rumble
- Trophies and Achievements on Windows PC via Steam, PlayStation, and Xbox consoles
Source: Nightdive Studios PR