The charming 2D pixel adventure game Phoenotopia: Awakening is coming to Nintendo Switch next week. On August 20th, get ready to step into the role of Gail, a simple villager who has her world turned upside down when beings from another planet appear and abduct all of the adults from her village. It is up to Gail to rescue the abducted villagers and discover the evil lurking in the shadows. Not only that, but she also learns that she has a much bigger part to play in the fight for Earth’s own existence.
You can check out a trailer for Phoenotopia: Awakening below as well as an overview of the game’s features.
- A narrative-driven, single-player adventure filled with charming characters, vibrant towns, and dangerous dungeons. Expect a meaty playtime of 25 to 50 hours, depending on how much of the world you want to see!
- Numerous NPC side quests. One quest, in Zelda-like fashion, will have you exploring and interacting with the game world’s denizens in search of trade-eager NPCs. After a long string of trades, a worthy weapon awaits as your final reward.
- Fight against overgrown toads, human-eating plants, trained knights, giant mechs, and even the extraterrestrial! The world of Phoenotopia sports over 50 different enemy types and a punishing, but fair, difficulty.
- Real-time healing mechanics. A la Dark Souls, choosing to heal at the right moment could be the difference between life and defeat. Some items heal a lot, but are slow to consume, so choose the right healing item for the job.
- Improve your healing items through a cooking mini-game!
- Or kickback and soak in the atmosphere with the fishing mini-game. Fish in an ancient temple, a beautiful oasis, or out on the roaring ocean. Where there’s water and fish, you can find sustenance.
- Over 10 different weapons and tools with which to combat enemies and solve puzzles. Fly with rocket boots! Shoot with crossbows! Blast with bombs! Play the flute!
- Numerous ways to grow stronger! Find treasure and buy better equipment or learn new combat techniques from skilled martial artists.
- A world brimming with secrets and collectibles! Find heart rubies to increase your max HP. Find moonstones to upgrade your tools. Find energy gems to increase your stamina.
- A unique and finely-tuned control system that seeks to combine elements from Smash Bros and Dark Souls. A stamina gauge governs the number of actions you can do at any one time. Attack, Charge Smash, Crawl, Walk, Run, or Sprint your way forward.
- Advanced techniques for speed running. Short-hop swing, cancel the landing lag with a roll, then cancel the ensuing roll lag with a tap of the trigger!
- Press L to zoom the camera in or out. A feature hardly seen in 2D side scrollers!
- A traversable world map connects the forests, towns, dungeons, and secret areas together. Touch a wandering map slime to trigger a random encounter!
- An immersive script running over 100,000 words. Phoenotopia is a novel in its own right!
- Over 60 original songs ranging from mellow piano and orchestra to raging synth/metal rockers and bagpipes!
- An achievement system, with 33 badges to earn, for players seeking extra challenge and replayability.
Source: Phoenotopia PRTags: Nintendo, Nintendo Switch, Phoenotopia, Phoenotopia Awakening, Phonotopia: Awakening
This post was written by Mike Scorpio