Shovel Knight is coming to the Switch, but not as we know it!
In a new blog post by Yacht Club Games, the company behind the ever popular Shovel Knight, have announced Shovel Knight is coming to the Nintendo Switch, but instead of just being called Shovel Knight, it will be called Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. Why the change of name? Well the game doesn’t just revolve around Shovel Knight, there’s King Knight, Plague Knight and Specter Knight, all of whom have/are getting their own playable campaign, so Yacht Club have decided a change of name was need. Oh and before anyone asks, the original Shovel Knight campaign is now called Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope. Here’s a few extracts taken from the official post:
Introducing Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
“Back to the main story! Soon, the game you now know as Shovel Knight will become Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove. When that happens, you’ll also have new options to purchase each campaign as separate, standalone games on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC/Mac/Linux, and Nintendo Switch:
- Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope – Shovel of Hope is our new name for the original Shovel Knight game, since it needed a title like the others. What do you think!? Rewatch the adventure here.
- Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows – Plague Knight’s Campaign emerges from the Shadows to hopefully get some recognition this time! Watch it all here.
- Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment – Specter of Torment is our most expansive campaign yet. We’re so excited for you to become the reaper! See Specter Knight in action here.
Later in 2017 the following will release (names TBD):
- Shovel Knight: King Knight’s Campaign – A crazy campaign with the gilded goob himself!
- Shovel Knight: Battle Mode –Duel with up to 4 players as your favorite heroic or villainous knight! (3DS/Vita not included)
Why is this happening? Well, we hope providing less expensive standalone versions will provide better entry points for different types of players! Also, players can more easily grab an adventure (or Battle Mode) on another platform!
All owners of Shovel Knight on all platforms will automatically own Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove instead and will continue to get each of the planned free campaigns and features via updates. It will work exactly like how Shovel Knight was updated to include its first campaign addition, Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows. Don’t worry!
In the spring, we will be raising the price of Shovel Knight. If you haven’t picked up Shovel Knight yet and want all the content included within Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, buy it now before the price increases this Spring! Or pick a selection of the standalone versions for a cheaper price!”
And if you think that’s everything, it’s not because Yacht Club have also confirmed that co-op will be coming to every home console, meaning 3DS and Vita will not be getting it and no, you will not need the amiibo for it like you do for Wii U. Also Body Swap is complete, so when Specter of Torment rolls out in the Spring, so will being able to body swap Knight of Shovelry himself, Shovel Knight.
Lastly, should that not be enough, while we have covered everything, Yacht Club Games have teased more news will be coming soon and the only way to find out what that is, is to stay tuned!
Source: Yacht Club Games (Blog)