With Super Mario Bros. Wonder releasing nearer to the end of this week, Nintendo has made Super Mario Bros. Wonder the latest game to get the “Ask the Developer” interview treatment. Across the interview’s multiple instalments, we got to hear from the likes of Takashi Tezuka and other developers all involved in Mario’s latest 2D outing.
During the interview, we heard from the devs behind Super Mario Bros. Wonder, as they discussed Super Mario Bros. association with “playing together”:
Mouri and Hayashida on Multiplayer Mario:
Shiro Mouri: Yes, we were very conscious of creating a variety of ways to enjoy multiplayer. Not only can you enjoy online multiplayer, but up to four players can play together in local co-op as in the previous titles, and as a new feature of local multiplayer, if someone is playing as Yoshi, you can even ride on their back.
Koichi Hayashida: In this title, Yoshis can carry other players on their backs, so I’d be especially happy to see parents and kids playing together. If parents are better at games than their kids, they can play as Yoshi and carry their kids on their backs.
Shiro Mouri: No one has to fight over who gets to be the princess this time, since Peach and Daisy are both playable characters! Those are the sorts of things we paid attention to so that everyone can play together.
For the full interview, why not click here to check out Ask the Developer Vol. 11, Super Mario Bros. Wonder – Chapter 4.
Ask the Developer | Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Participating Developers)
- Takashi Tezuka | Executive Officer Senior Officer, Entertainment Planning & Development Division
- Shiro Mouri | Entertainment Planning & Development Department Production Group No. 10
- Koichi Hayashida | Entertainment Planning & Development Department Production Group No. 10
- Masanobu Sato | Entertainment Planning & Development Department Production Group No. 10
- Koji Kondo | Senior Officer, Entertainment Planning & Development Department