Greetings one and all, this is Jack of Miketendo64 and today I have a little message to share with all those who wish to hear it. Our humble little media site with the mantra “By Gamers for Gamers,” is looking to expand both its review and editorial team and we would love to formally invite all interested parties to come and give us a shot!
About Miketendo64: (A Quick History Lesson)
As a site dating back to 2015, we were founded by Mike Scorpio, aka Mike Longman, for the simple premise of providing non-confusing news about a game formally referred to Zelda U, which would later be revealed as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and take the entire world by storm.
There was next to no news about the title at the time, but plenty of rumours about it and the Nintendo NX and we did what we could to act as a shining beacon during a time of darkness and uncertainty and we didn’t just stick to those two topics either. We became a site very much focused on the Nintendo Wii U and everything it had to offer and we jumped on the Nintendo 3DS bandwagon as well.
As the years rolled by, Wii U was replaced by the Nintendo Switch with mobile game news trying to take the 3DS slot, but we’re still here, we’re still covering all things Nintendo and we were actually one of the first sites to review more than 1,000 Nintendo Switch games.
We have been to many events over the years, Barcelona Games World, EGX, PAX, Gamepolis and Gamescom and all with press status and I will never forget my interviews with Charles Martinet and Suda51! Each day and gaming event can bring all kind of surprises in the Miketendo64 Kingdom and it’s one of the things why we love doing what we’ve been doing for so long.
None of us earn a wage, as our whole team willingly contributes their spare time to helping keep the good ship Miketendo64 afloat, but we’re all in it together and while we’ve said goodbye to a few members of staff over the years, it has been for a good cause as staff writers and contributors went on to better things such as writing for Switch Player Magazine, Zelda Universe and many more.
What are we After and What you’ll be Doing:
In terms of positions and how many spots we’re looking to fill, we are opening the doors fully and are looking to snag as many willing writers as possible, as long as they met our criteria with no objections. Now with that out of the way, let’s talk about what we’re after and what applications can expect to do in their new role:
Editorial Team: Those on the editorial team can be expected to mostly pen feature articles and guides. With features, you are welcome to talk about any game, any series from any angle you want, as long as you try to keep it family-friendly as we do have an audience of all ages who visit the site.
Features are your moment to shine, where you can let your passion speak volumes and give us all a valuable insight into your mindset as a gamer. As for guides, these are the bread and butter of Miketendo64, it’s the most valued content we produce on the site and all writers are welcome to write a guide for whatever game they wish to cover, but there are also cases where site heads Mike and I will task you with a specific guide for a specific game.
- Your own unique voice
- No previous experience necessary
- A passion for all things Nintendo
- Be a team player
- Detail orientated when it comes to guides
Review Team: Just as important as writing guides are writing reviews. You’d be surprised by the number of games we get when we’re not even asking for any. We get games of every genre and every kind of quality and if there is a specific game our reviewers want, we do try our very best to accommodate their wishes, whilst also ensuring each review game we receive, goes to the best person for the job.
Not only will you be responsible for reviewing games in a timely manner, but also doing your best to cover the game in an honest voice that expresses valid concerns and if you do have harsh criticisms, we expect them to be fully explained as tactfully as you can to explain why you feel the game, or just a certain part of it, is “terrible.” We value our relationships with all developers and publishers who get in touch with us and when we are covering a game we feel will score 4 or less, we will share the review with the dev/publisher first to see what they think of it first. So respect is very important.
- Some experience IS required but we’re more than happy to nurture new talent and get them started
- Able to meet deadlines
- Good communicator – If your review is going to be late, delayed or there’s an issue going on, we want to know about it, so 1) We’re up to date and 2) We don’t have to harass you asking about what’s going on? What’s happening? Where are you at?
- An honest voice with crystal clear explanations
The Benefits of Joining Team Miketendo:
While none of us here are on a wage, there are some benefits to being a part of our team, so here they all are:
- Free games in the form of those you review
- Press Privileges for attending gaming events as we will attempt to secure you a press pass for any events you attend
- Interview opportunities with your favourite developers – If we can arrange it, you can ask all the questions you want
- A platform from which you can truly express yourself on
- A launchpad that you can start building a career on with advancement opportunities with other and bigger sites
For those of you who do want to get involved and get in touch, you are all more than welcome to try to apply for a position with both teams, all we ask is you send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide us with the following information:
Email Subject Matter 1: M64 Editorial Team Interest
Email Subject Matter 2: M64 Review Team Interest
Email Subject Matter 3: M64 Editorial & Review Team Interest
- Name and age
- A bio about yourself (gaming history, beloved consoles and the like)
- Favourite series and games
- What are your hobbies other than gaming? (This is just to get to know you all a little better, your personal tastes and your unique voice)
- Any questions you might have for us?
- What you feel you can offer us and what you hope to get out of us in return?
- What sort of availability/flexibility you can offer?
- Ideas for content you would like to write
- How many amiibo do you possess? (This is just to get to know you all a little better, your personal tastes and your unique voice)
Thank you to everyone who took the time to read this, we hope to hear from all of you soon. Until next time, Keep on Gaming!Tags: Feature, Miketendo64, Site News
This post was written by Solid Jack