Well Folks, the Super Mario Maker 2 Direct has been and gone. So, now its time to go over everything and recap what was shown. Firstly, it was nice to get official confirmation of what we can expect in Super Mario Maker 2. We have seen a lot of rumours flying around and speculation of what could be in the game due to Japanese advertisements of the game. However, we can now officially say what will be featured in Super Mario Maker 2.
If you have yet to see the Super Mario Maker Direct and would really like to before reading the full list of details, you can check out the video below. Underneath that however is a pretty long list of some incredible new features contained in the official press release.
New Super Mario Maker 2 Details Revealed in Latest Nintendo Direct Presentation
Super Mario Maker 2 Invitational Tournament Coming to Los Angeles the Weekend Before E3
REDMOND, Wash., May 15, 2019 – During the Super Mario Maker 2 Direct video presentation, Nintendo shared new details about the Super Mario Maker 2 game, launching exclusively for the Nintendo Switch system on June 28. The deep dive into the game revealed some of what’s new in Super Mario Maker 2, including new course parts and tools; a new single-player story mode with more than 100 Nintendo-created courses; new course themes; details about online course sharing*; options to create and play together with others**; and information about a special offer for Nintendo Switch Online members. The presentation also covered the upcoming Super Mario Maker 2 Invitational 2019 tournament, streaming live online the weekend before E3 from Los Angeles. The Nintendo Direct was stuffed with more fun goodies than a ? block!“Super Mario Maker 2 puts the power of creating unique Super Mario courses into the hands of the player,” said Nick Chavez, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “Video game fans of all ages have more tools than ever to help them stretch their imaginations as they make, play and share the Super Mario courses of their dreams.”
- What’s New?: There are a ton of new course parts, tools and features for creators to use in Super Mario Maker 2, some of which include:
- Slopes – Create angled surfaces by just picking a direction and setting the length. Gentler slopes are an additional option.
- Angry Sun – Remember the angry sun that attacked Mario in the Super Mario Bros. 3 game? It’s back and ready to put the pressure on players in this new game.
- ON/OFF Switch – Hit an ON/OFF Switch, and all the red and blue blocks in the course will swap! Setting them up wisely will help players create tricky puzzles and obstacles.
- Water Level – The water level in Super Mario Maker 2 can be adjusted in the Forest theme, so only half the course can be underwater if that’s what the player wants. Water can even be set to rise and fall at different speeds over time.
- Banzai Bill – The red variations of these classic Super Mario enemies have a homing function, and chase poor Mario wherever he goes.
- Co-op Making: Pass a Joy-Con controller to a friend to create a course together, side by side.
- To Be Continued…: There are more secrets in Super Mario Maker 2. Players will have a blast experimenting with all the tools and features they can use to create.
- Story Mode: In the single-player Story Mode, which can be played entirely offline, Mario sets out to help rebuild Princess Peach’s castle. To fund this reconstruction project, he needs to collect Coins, which he can earn by accepting jobs from the bulletin board and completing the associated courses. Story Mode is a great way for makers to get inspired, with more than 100 original Nintendo-crafted courses to play.
- New Course Themes: In addition to all the course themes from the original game, players will be able to create and play courses using the Desert, Snow, Forest and Sky themes. These themes feature new music by veteran Super Mario series composer Koji Kondo. The new Moon course part can be used to unlock night versions of themes. Depending on the theme used, wild things will happen at night, including floating Goombas, dimmed lighting in the Ghost House and sandstorms in the Desert. Some items might even transform in the nighttime…
- Super Mario 3D World: Players can choose to create their courses in the style of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, New Super Mario Bros.U games and a new one based on Super Mario 3D World. Some new features unique to this style include:
- Cat Mario – Cat Mario can climb walls, scratch, slide and pounce on enemies. Players can even use Cat Mario to climb up the Goal Pole!
- Clear Pipe – Clear Pipes can be placed in any shape the player wants, but they have to be careful, as enemies can also slide through them.
- Koopa Troopa Car – Hop in this sweet ride and zoom through the course. Players just have to make sure not to crash!
- Track Block – The Track Block will follow any path the player draws. The blue one starts moving when the player steps on it.
- Piranha Creeper – The Piranha Creeper follows the path that the player draws, extending its dangerous spiky stem around the course.
- Who’s Who in Super Mario 3D World?: A cast of other familiar faces will also make appearances in Super Mario Maker 2, so players are in for a treat!
- Course World: An online hub where players can play and share courses, as well as play together, Course World is available for players around the world who have a membership to Nintendo Switch Online. Players can browse by Popular Courses, New Courses or even search for specific tags like “puzzle-solving” or “autoscroll” using a set of filters. Once a course is downloaded, it can be played anytime – including offline! Players can also personalize their Mii character’s appearance using items like shirts and hats that unlock after completing various objectives. In Endless Challenge, players will try to complete as many Course World courses as possible on the difficulty of their choice before getting a game over. Earning impressive scores in this mode might even get the player on the Leaderboards!
- Play Together: In Course World, players can play courses with people all over the world. When playing with four players, players play as Mario, Luigi, Toad or Toadette.
- Multiplayer Versus – Four players face off in a side-scrolling showdown in this online multiplayer mode. Each player will be assigned a different character, then race each other in a randomly selected course. The player who clears the course first wins and increases their Versus Rating.
- Multiplayer Co-op – In this online mode, up to four players must work together to beat the course. If one player finishes it, everyone wins!
- Nearby Play – If up to four players each own a Nintendo Switch system and the Super Mario Maker 2 game, one can set up a virtual room that the others in the same location can join to play together on their own systems. Only the player setting up the room needs an internet connection.
- Super Mario Maker 2 + Nintendo Switch Online Bundle: Launching in stores and digitally in Nintendo eShop on June 28 in addition to the stand-alone game, this bundle includes the Super Mario Maker 2 game and a 12-month Individual Membership to Nintendo Switch Online at a suggested retail price of $69.99, a $9.99 savings off of the suggested retail price when purchasing each separately. Remember: A Nintendo Switch Online membership is required to use the game’s online features.
- Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers – For $99.99, fans with a paid Nintendo Switch Online membership can purchase a set of two Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers from Nintendo eShop. For a limited time, players can redeem these vouchers for two eligible digital games in Nintendo eShop. For example, players can pre-purchase Super Mario Maker 2 and also grab another fun game like Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Super Mario Odyssey, Yoshi’s Crafted World or The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. By redeeming these vouchers, users are saving up to $19.99 on the combined suggested retail price of two games. Vouchers are redeemable for one year from the date of purchase and don’t have to be used at the same time. For more information about this limited-time special offer, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/special-offers/.
- Super Mario Maker 2 Invitational 2019 – On June 8, four members of the Super Mario Maker community will compete in a variety of wild and unpredictable Super Mario Maker 2 courses designed by Nintendo’s Treehouse team. The event will open up the festivities at The Theatre at the Ace Hotel in Los Angeles, starting at 11 a.m. PT, and will be followed by the Splatoon 2 World Championship 2019 and the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate World Championship 3v3 2019. For more information about the event, including ticketing information, visit https://e3.nintendo.com/.
On top of that, we also have some addition information that was featured in the video but not included in the press release.
Course sharing is back.
Returning Themes – SMB, SMB3, SMBW
New tools – Slopes, Gentler slopes, etc
Create Tanks Like In Super Mario Bros 3
Snake block blue fast, green slow
Red and Blue blocks and switch
Change conveyor belt direction
Adjustable Water & Lava level, change over time
Custom Scroll, custom scroll trajectory, speed, and multiple points
Dry Bones Shell can be ridden on top of lava
Big Coins – 10 coins, 30 or 50 coin!
New Sound Effects, can stick them on enemy
Co-Op Making!!!! Pass a Joy-Con to a friend and create courses together
Diagonal conveyor belts
Tutorial — Story mode – mario is rebuilding princess peach’s castle
Course themes – Desert, Snow, Forest & Sky
New Music by Koji Kondo
Moon! Turn Angry Sun into Moon, wipe out a screen full of enemies
Ground Night theme
Underground turns upside down
In ghost house the lights go dim
Desert gets sandstorm
Forest poisonous water
You can unlock the night courses.
3D World ‘cat mario’, exclusive items.
Clear pipes in any shape you like.
Enemies can use them.
Crates float on lava and water
Track Block (Blue one moves when you step on it)
Koopa Troopa Car
Banzai Bill can fly towards the screen
Nintendo Switch Online
Course World online hub for sharing courses
Browse by popular course, new courses, search by tags
Maker points, customize your character and earn accessories and clothes
Course world selects random courses for you to play
Play courses together with others 4-player online.
Multiplayer versus, side scrolling showdown, race each other in randomly selected course. Clear course and win. Vs. rating!
Multiplayer co op, work together to beat the course, just one person needs to win.
Local co op nearby play, make a room and play locally. Mutliplayer versus tab.
Releases On 6.28.2019
Pre-purchasing + Online 69.99 12mo member. Membership stacks.
NSO Members two games for 99.99 up to 59.99 and discounted game. Vouchers can be redeemed up to a year from now and don’t need to be redeemed at the same time.
June 8th, live competitive gameplay at E3.
Source: Nintendo America PR
This post was written by Mike Scorpio