The Nintendo Switch is finally out, which gamers the world over can now finally properly enjoy the games playable on the new console, but what if they wanted to transfer some of those games to another consoles? Just how would they go about it?
Well thankfully Nintendo already have already provided an answer to that question and it’s actually an easy enough and understandable process, so if you own a Switch and at some point later on down the line, buy another one and wish to play your digital games on it instead of your first one, here are the steps you will need to follow to make it happen:
1) On the active Nintendo Switch console, use your Nintendo Account to access the Nintendo eShop and deactivate the console.
- If you don’t have access to the active console, please contact us for additional assistance.
2) On the second Nintendo Switch console, link your Nintendo Account to a new or existing user account.
3) Use your Nintendo Account to access the Nintendo eShop on the second console. The system will automatically be set as the active console for your Nintendo Account.
- To verify, check that the “Active-Console Status” shows as “active” in your Nintendo eShop Account Information.
4) You can now use this account to add funds, purchase games, and download new and previous software purchases.
- All user profiles on the active console will be able to play the games.
- If you want to move the purchases to a different system (or back to the first one), complete steps 1-3 again to deactivate this console and activate a different one.
As well as the above information, Nintendo have also provided some additional information that you will be able to see beneath this paragraph, but they like to state that games can only be played on one console at a time and that save date cannot be transferred from one system to the other. And now here’s that additional information as promised.
- To move games from one console to another, you will need to deactivate the console where the games currently are, then activate the new Nintendo Switch console. You can then download and play your games on the new system.
- You can activate one Nintendo Switch console per Nintendo Account.
- Games can be downloaded and played on the activated Nintendo Switch console for the Nintendo Account.
- The games will not be playable on a deactivated system unless you make that the active one again for your Nintendo Account.
In case you ever have the need to transfer your digital games, I would advise either saving this webpage, bookmarking it, or even clicking on this link and saving it anyway you like so you have it readily available for when you need it: