1.49 million away from 20.
As part of Nintendo’s latest financial results, it has been revealed that the hit release, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, has already managed to ship 18.51 million units worldwide. It’s not quite the 20 million milestone many had hoped for, but those sales figures are based between Tears of the Kingdom’s release on May 12, 2023 to June 30, 2023.
It is worth mentioning, however, that it was previously reported Tears of the Kingdom had shipped over 10 million units within its first three days of sales. Still, by no means should we play down the success of a formidable title, as while Tears of the Kingdom trails behind Breath of the Wild’s 30.65 million sales on the Nintendo Switch and 1.70 million on the Nintendo Wii U, (Wii U’s version sales numbers based on a report from December 31, 2020,) it is still worth celebrating the fact that Tears of the Kingdom has sold more than 18 million copies within two months of its initial release.
Furthermore, thanks to the updated sales numbers, we now know that Breath of the Wild still ranks in fourth of Nintendo’s top 10 selling games on the Nintendo Switch, but its sequel, Tears of the Kingdom, has now claimed ninth place, with the possibility of eighth by the end of this current fiscal quarter.
Nintendo’s Top 10 Selling Games on Nintendo Switch:
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2017) | 55.46 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020) | 42.79 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018) | 31.77 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017) | 30.65 million
- Super Mario Odyssey (2017) | 26.44 million
- Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield (2019) | 25.92 million
- Pokémon Scarlet & Pokémon Violet (2022) | 22.66 million
- Super Mario Party (2018) | 19.39 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (2023) | 18.51 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (2019) | 16.17 million