Keeping it fresh, one game at a time.
Having launched on September 9, 2022, Nintendo has gone ahead to release the first lot of official numbers regarding the sales of Splatoon 3 on the Nintendo Switch. While some had hoped the game would immediately outperform the popular Splatoon 2, which was last reported at selling 13.30 million copies worldwide, this has not happened. Instead, in the first three weeks the game was available, it managed to pull in 7.90 million, which is a strong showing in itself.
Would it have been nice if the game had performed better than it already did? Absolutely, but let’s not forget Splatoon 2 released back in 2017 and has been able to amass its 13.30 million sales over a 5-year period, whereas Splatoon 3 has managed to ship more than half that number in just three weeks. What’s more, with the first Splatoon game only ever achieving 4.95 lifetime sales on the Nintendo Wii U, the latest instalment in theSplatoon series has managed to outpace it already, by 2.95 million, which is not bad going at all. Going forwards, it will be interesting to see how much higher Splatoon 3 will come? Has it got what it takes to outperform Splatoon 3? We’ll find out soon enough.
About Splatoon 3:
- Squad up and Ink your Way to Victory! – It’s survival of the freshest in Splatoon 3 for Nintendo Switch! Welcome to Splatsville, located in the sun-scorched Splatlands, where new weapons, moves, stages and fresh fashions await! Take on rivals in online ink-soaked battles, fend off waves of Salmonid and thwart an Octarian invasion.
- Your Turf for the Taking – Claim territory by covering it in ink in heated four-on-four Turf Wars, switching tactically between humanoid and squid forms. The team that claims the most turf wins! The citizens of Splatsville are sporting some new skills…
- Show your True Colours – Inklings and Octolings are fashion-savvy creatures, so express your one-of-a-kind, cephalopod self! Customise your locker to show off your signature splatting style, and use it to display weapons, gear and items. With Splatoon series amiibo (sold separately), you can easily swap outfits and get exclusive gear!
- Armed to the Tentacles – Splatsville is making waves with its splashy weaponry! New and modified weapons join the line-up alongside all weapons from previous games.
- Splat or be Splatted – There are bucketloads of ways to battle other players! Put your Turf War talent to the test in Regular Battle, or compete for rankings in one of Anarchy Battle’s four game modes. Both of these online multiplayer modes can be enjoyed on the same team as friends! Set game modes and other options to your liking and play alongside friends in Private Battle, which can also be enjoyed via local wireless play! For serious splatters out there, X Battle and League Battle online multiplayer modes will be added in a future software update. Gather and prepare for battles in the Lobby, where online friends appear as holograms whose games you can join. There’s also a test range where you can warm up while waiting for players to join a battle.
- More Ways to Play:
- Story Mode: Take control of Agent 3 and fight against the evil Octarian army. Unravel the mysteries of Alterna, home to a hazardous substance that has caused Octarians to sprout…hair?!
- Salmon Run: Fend off hordes of incoming Salmonid in this co-op mode! Use Egg Throw to make your job easier as you work together to splat new bosses, including the colossal King Salmonid, and meet your job quota.
- Table Turf Battle: Collect cards, build a deck and get ready for a tile tussle in Splatsville’s freshest fad! Clash with the locals and your friends whenever and wherever you like in this dazzling deck duel.