I recently had the opportunity to preview Legends of Ethernal by Lucid Dreams Studio. The game is a 2D single-player action-adventure game being published by Natsume Inc. and features Metroidvania exploration and inspired by The Legend of Zelda style gameplay. It’s unique styled artwork is based on that of East European Medieval Illustrations. It certainly is an interesting art direction that breaks free from the typical “8-bit” retro revival that we have seen in many indie games before.
The story of Legends of Ethernal follows a young boy who lives in the enchanting world of Arkanys. He returns home one day to find it in ruins and his parents are nowhere to be found. The young boy sets out to discover the truth of his parents’ disappearance and learns of an even bigger truth that could change the world of Arkanys itself.
The gameplay itself features dungeon exploration with puzzle elements. There are plenty of enemies to fight and there are several different difficulty modes from the casual Relaxed Mode to intense Hardcore Mode. Find weapons in each dungeon that will give you an advantage against the dungeon’s boss.
Legends of Ethernal is definitely an interesting game to look out for when it releases on Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC sometime in Mid-October. The game will be available to purchase digitally for $19.99.
Legends of Ethernal Game Features:
- Enjoy mechanics that are unlocking with weapons and items that you find.
- Solve puzzles and unleash your strategies against boss battles in multiple dungeons.
- Gather ethers and use items during the course of your journey to help you progress through the game.
- Admire beautiful 2D hand-drawn art covering multiple environments, scaling up to a resolution of 4K on supported platforms.
- Experience a compelling and linear storyline with great characters.
- Listen to the wonderfully crafted score, produced and recorded by veteran musician William Gough.
- Try the hardcore mode for an intense experience or enable the Relaxed Mode to help you complete the game.
I would like to give special thanks to Mika and Erica of Clever Communications for inviting me to the Legends of Ethernal preview event. I would also like to thank Maxime Grégoire and Francis Lapierre of Lucid Dreams Studio for streaming Legends of Ethernal and discussing the game at length.
If you would like to know more about Legends of Ethernal, be sure to check out the official website.