In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, the Summer Bug-Off is held on the fourth Saturday of June, July, August, and September in the Northern Hemisphere and the third Saturday of December, January, February, and March in the Southern Hemisphere. The Bug-Off is hosted by Flick the Bug Collector and runs from 9am up until 6pm (Depending on your region). Participation costs 500 bells to enter but the first time you enter is free. There are prizes to be earned and trophies as well depending on how many points you rack up.
We have rounded up the rules, prizes, and trophies below.
The general idea is to catch as many bugs as you can in 3 minutes. You can find them flying around the town, around flowers or on tree stumps. Each bug is worth 1 point regardless of its size so it doesn’t matter if you only catch Ladybugs or Peacock Butterflies, they are all worth the same amount of points.
You can get an extra two points if you catch three or more Bugs. As soon as the end buzzer sounds, any bugs you catch after that is not included in your score, even if your net was cast before it sounded.
There are about 13 prizes to be won and they are all bug-themed. You can receive a prize once you have at least 10 points and ask Flick to swap your points for prizes. What you get is given to you at random But you will receive everything once upon spending 130 points. After that, prizes start to duplicate themselves.
We have a list of the prizes or that you can get in alphabetical order as well as the prices you can sell them for at Nook’s Cranny
- Artisanal Bug Cage – 450 Bells
- Bug Aloha Shirt – 240 Bells
- Bug Cage – 122 Bells
- Bug Wand – 1,500 Bells
- Butterflies Wall – 840 Bells
- Butterfly Backpack – 210 Bells
- Ladybug Rug – 375 Bells
- Ladybug Umbrella – 80 Bells
- Spider Doorplate – 90 Bells
- Spiderweb – 25 Bells
- Termite Mound – 550 Bells
- Toy Centipede – 50 Bells
- Toy Cockroach – 70 Bells
Ah, yes. Probably the most important of the Bug-Off, the trophies. You are awarded a trophy for how well you do in the Bug-Off. There are three trophies to get your hands on. They are of course Bronze, Silver, and Gold. Here are how many points you need to earn for each.
100 Points – Bronze Trophy
200 Points – Silver Trophy
300 Points – Gold Trophy
Here are a few handy tips for you if you are trying to rack up those points.
- Have a good Net – Make sure you have a good Net. Though it won’t break on you during the Bug-Off until the timer is up, it will minimize the number of times you will have to craft them in between sessions when trying to net every bug you come across.
- Plant Plenty Of Flowers Beforehand – Bugs love plants and the more flowers you have, the more likely you are to find bugs flying around them or on top of them.
- Make A Circuit – Plan a circuit and keep to it, follow it all the way around to give bugs a chance to spawn.
- Don’t Dash or Skid In The Flowers – Starting a dash or skidding in the flowers can take the heads off. This can minimize the possibility of bugs spawning on top of them.
This post was written by Mike Scorpio