In case you haven’t heard the news, SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech was announced earlier today during today’s Indie Highlights and already the first interview for the game has gone live.
Only, while the majority had to wait until today to learn about the new instalment in the SteamWorld series, Daan Koopman has been clued in since last August and was able to arrange an interview that is live now. For those of you who wish to watch it, you can do so here:
For those of you in a hurry though, here are some highlights of what was said:
- Daan and Brjánn Sigurgeirsson started talking about Quest during Gamescom 2018
- Daan flew to Sweden in December and played SteamWorld Quest for 3-4 hours
- Image & Form chose Daan to be the first person to play the game due to the support he has offered the series
- The posted interview took place before the Indie Highlights reveal.
- Quest is not part of the timeline that is seen in SteamWorld Dig, Dig 2 and Heist
- Quest is similar to Heist in some ways, in terms of the characters
- Quest is a card battle RPG
- Core gameplay mechanic is the “issue” for Image & Form. “Cool to play”
- Core of the game is solid and serious, but still maintains the regular SteamWorld humour
- By using cards, you can earn a gear
- Know when to fold or take a step back
- Players can redraw cards
- Level up characters and explore areas
- Quest is one of those games you can sit down and play it for an hour, only when you check the clock, more than one hour has elapsed
- Quest is like a play. Where one scene ends, another begins, with one screen being one scene.
- Exploration is not the key to the game as the gameplay is the key point of Quest
- Instead of trying to be good at lots of different things, the focus is on being really good at one precise thing
- Collect experience at the end of each battle
- Create your own deck
- All cards get mixed in regardless of what you do
- Image & Form decide as a collective on the games they should make instead of doing a Dig 3 all because Dig 2 performed very well financially
- The main character pretends that she is a hero and isn’t. She wants to find out if she can.
- The main character speaks in “quotes” and narrates her adventure throughout
- Image & Form are still working on other things in addition to quest
Source: Nintendo World Report TV (YouTube)
This post was written by Solid Jack