With Super Mario Bros. Wonder releasing nearer to the end of this week, Nintendo has made Super Mario Bros. Wonder the latest game to get the “Ask the Developer” interview treatment. Across the interview’s multiple instalments, we got to hear from the likes of Takashi Tezuka and other developers all involved in Mario’s latest 2D outing.
During the interview, we heard from the Shiro Mouri, as he discussed the game’s badge system and abilities:
Shiro Mouri on Wonder’s Badge System:
Shiro Mouri: We ended up with over 20 different badges. These were the top picks from more than 50 prototypes. Since we were able to separate out abilities in the form of badges, not only can players equip badges that make it easier to clear courses, but we could also create abilities that let skilled players do challenge runs. For example, a badge that makes you run nonstop or one that makes your character invisible to both you and enemies.
Some badges alter actions, like jumping higher after crouching, while others are aimed at beginners, like one that automatically bounces your character back out of pits. Switching badges lets you experience the same course differently or at varying difficulty levels. I think the game is designed to be cleared more easily, even for players who used to quit 2D Mario games halfway because they found them too difficult. It also led to a new gameplay element to collect badges. During multiplayer, different gameplay styles become available, like boldly choosing badges that require some skill. Everyone can become invisible, for example. (Laughs)
For the full interview, why not click here to check out Ask the Developer Vol. 11, Super Mario Bros. Wonder – Chapter 3.
Ask the Developer | Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Participating Developers)
- Takashi Tezuka | Executive Officer Senior Officer, Entertainment Planning & Development Division
- Shiro Mouri | Entertainment Planning & Development Department Production Group No. 10
- Koichi Hayashida | Entertainment Planning & Development Department Production Group No. 10
- Masanobu Sato | Entertainment Planning & Development Department Production Group No. 10
- Koji Kondo | Senior Officer, Entertainment Planning & Development Department